The project I am working on currently involves collecting stories from people in the LGBT community. I am hoping to obtain audio recordings of stories from people all across the "QUILTBAG" spectrum. These stories once collected will become part of a series of installation pieces. The goal of this project is to create an entry point for people to experience these stories and voices in a visceral way.
The stories can be about any aspect of life as a member of the LGBT community. It could be about the way a loved one reacted to you coming out (good, bad or otherwise), how you feel empowered through transitioning, the nervousness you might feel about being out or the kindness or isolation you have found in your own community. These are just a few examples of what can be submitted. Below are some categories that you may use as a prompt to decide what to share.
I have broken these stories down into four categories:
1. "Closet Stories" - stories the occurred before coming out.
2. "Coming Out Stories" - stories about a single coming out event or coming out in general.
3. "Out Stories" - any lgbt-centric stories from day-to-day life as an out lgbt person.
4. "Other LGBT Stories" - any and all lbgt stories that don't quite fit in the above categories.
If you or anyone you know would like to submit a story please follow the guidelines below and if you have any questions you may contact me here.
If you would like to submit a story there are three ways to do so digitally. With all submissions feel free to include a name, the location and how you identify as an lgbt person, this information is completely optional, anonymous submissions are welcome. At minimum please include which of the 4 categories you believe your story falls into.
1. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org with your file as an attachment.
2. Share your file via Google Drive with email@example.com.
3. Share your file via dropbox with a link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical guidelines and tips:
-There is no minimum or maximum length requirements, however if a piece exceeds 5 minutes it would be best to split it into 5 min sections if possible.
-Record in a quiet place and test your microphone before starting.
-While any file formats will be accepted using common file types such as; .mp3, .wav, FLAC, .m4a and .wma, are appreciated.
If you would like to submit a story in person and live near Sacramento, Ca please send an email to email@example.com to set up a time and place to meet. If you are an organization that would like to setup a time for multiple people please express that in the initial email.